Content provided by the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
93.908 Nursing Education Loan Repayment Program
TYPES OF ASSISTANCE:
TYPES OF ASSISTANCE:
USES AND USE RESTRICTIONS:
The program offers Registered Nurses (RN) substantial economic assistance to repay their qualifying educational loans in exchange for full-time service at a health care facility with a critical shortage of nurses. Nursing Education Loan Repayment Program (NELRP) participants enter into a contract agreeing to provide full-time service at an approved Critical Shortage Facility (CSF) for two years. In return, NELRP will pay 30 percent of the participant's total qualifying loan balance each year (total of 60 percent). A participant may be eligible to amend his/her two-year NELRP contract to serve for a third (optional) year at a CSF. If a participant works full-time for a third year in a CSF, the NELRP will pay an additional 25 percent of the participant's original qualifying loan balance, bringing the total to 85 percent of eligible loan balances. Critical Shortage Facilities currently include, but are not limited to, Indian Health Service health centers, hospitals, Federal Hospitals, Federally Qualified health centers, Native Hawaiian health centers, rural health clinics, nursing homes, home health agencies, hospice programs, State or local public health departments, and ambulatory surgical centers.
Applicant Eligibility: Individuals who satisfy the following criteria are eligible to apply: (1) have received a baccalaureate or associate degree in nursing (or an equivalent degree), a diploma in nursing or a graduate degree in nursing; (2) have unpaid qualifying loans obtained for nursing education; (3) a U.S. citizen, national or a permanent legal resident of the United States; (4) employed full-time (32 hours or more per week) at a critical shortage facility (CSF); (5) have a current unrestricted license in the State in which they intend to practice or be authorized to practice in the State under the Nurse Licensure Compact; and (6) submit a complete application, including a signed contract to work full-time as a registered or advanced practice nurse for 2 years at an eligible health care facility with a critical shortage of nurses.
Pre-application Coordination: Preapplication coordination is required. Environmental impact information is not required for this program. This program is excluded from coverage under E.O. 12372.
Formula and Matching Requirements:
POST ASSISTANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Fiscal Year 2015: 590 new awards were made; 81 percent of all awards made were to registered nurses working in critical shortage facilities identified as serving the most underserved populations. Fiscal Year 2016: No Current Data Available. Fiscal Year 2017: No Current Data Available
REGULATIONS, GUIDELINES, AND LITERATURE:
Regional or Local Office:
EXAMPLES OF FUNDED PROJECTS:
CRITERIA FOR SELECTING PROPOSALS:
Funding preference is defined as the funding of a specific category of group of approved applicants ahead of other categories or groups of approved applicants. As provided in section 846(e) of the PHS Act, as amended, a funding preference is given to eligible applicants with the greatest financial need. Awards are made to the highest ranked applicants until funds are expended. Please review the HRSA Preview or BCRS website at www.hrsa.gov for important information regarding funding preferences.