Content provided by the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
93.590 Community-Based Child Abuse Prevention Grants
ADMINISTRATION FOR CHILDREN AND FAMILIES, DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act, 42 U.S.C. 5116 et seq., as amended, Public Law 104-235.
(1) To support community-based efforts to develop, operate, expand, and enhance, and coordinate initiatives, programs, and activities to prevent child abuse and neglect and to support the coordination of resources and activities to better strengthen and support families to reduce the likelihood of child abuse and neglect; and (2) to foster understanding, appreciation and knowledge of diverse populations in order to effectively prevent and treat child abuse and neglect.
TYPES OF ASSISTANCE:
USES AND USE RESTRICTIONS:
To receive funds, States must meet eligibility requirements stated in the authorizing statute and use funds to establish and expand statewide networks of community-based family resource support programs. One percent is set aside for discretionary grants to migrant and tribal organizations and grants for the national resource center to provide technical assistance to State lead agencies.
Applicant Eligibility: States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Island.
Pre-application Coordination: Pre-application is not required. Advice and technical assistance are available from the Administration on Children, Youth and Families to State applicants. This program is excluded from coverage under E.O. 12372.
Formula and Matching Requirements: States that meet all of the eligibility requirements will be awarded funds based on the following statutory formula: (a) 70 percent of the total amount appropriated is allotted among the States based on the number of children under the age of 18 in each such State, except that each State shall receive not less then $175,000; and (b) the remaining 30 percent of the total amount appropriated is allotted in an amount that bears the same proportion to such amount appropriated as the amount leveraged by the State from private, State, or other nonfederal sources and directed through the State lead agency in the preceding fiscal year bears to the aggregate of the amount leveraged by all States from private, State, or other non- federal sources and directed through the lead agency of such States in the preceding fiscal year.
POST ASSISTANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Reports: Financial and program progress reporting requirements are described in Program Instructions.
Account Identification: 75-1536-0-1-506.
In fiscal year 2001, 56 grants were awarded. The territories of Guam, American Samoa, Virgin Island and Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands received $175,000 each under their consolidated grant program. It is anticipated that 56 grants will be awarded in fiscal years 2002 and 2003, respectively.
REGULATIONS, GUIDELINES, AND LITERATURE:
All pertinent instructions are contained in the annual Program Instruction.
Regional or Local Office: Not applicable.
EXAMPLES OF FUNDED PROJECTS:
CRITERIA FOR SELECTING PROPOSALS:
States which meet all eligibility requirements will receive funds under this program.